Evan parker 12064 1


  • Branch: Army
  • Hometown/City: South Haven, KS
  • Date of Birth: 05-01-1980
  • Date of Death: 10-26-2005
  • Conflict: Operation Iraqi Freedom
  • Port/Base: WAHIAWA, HI

Share Your Hero

Submit Profile Image


Honor your hero with thoughts, memories, images and stories.

    Born May 1, 1980
    KIA October 26, 2005

    Evan was my second son. From the very first moments it was clear to see that this child was going to be strong willed, fighting to be number one and always into everything, the boy never stopped. His blonde dandelion hair, sky blues eyes and freckles that covered his whole body, were his trade marks that he carried with him. He hated his freckles and I always told him that they were Gods kiss marks and his reply was, “Can we tell God to quit kissing me”.

    Evan loved his family. He was very close to his older brother of 2 years. They fought all of the time and were completive on the sport fields but oh, how they loved each other and stood up for one another. When Evan was 10, along came his younger brother and now he was not the baby any longer but the older brother. He was a great big brother and he loved this. Now let me tell you how much Evan loved his grandpa. He was his miniature shadow. To Evan, grandpa was his Knight in Shining Armor. Grandpa never missed a ball game until Evan’s senior year when grandpa died in August before opening football season. Evan would not come out of the locker room, grandpa was not there. Grandma had to go into the locker room to get him. He needed to play the game/season for grandpa, because he was still watching. Again, I will emphasize, family was everything to Evan.

    He was an all American sports nut. Playing every sport that he could and he was good at it all. He practiced all of the time, as I said, sure to be number one. He never quit. The coaches stated many times that they just had to just remove him from the game because he would not stop.

    Evan joined the Army in May 1999, one year after his High School graduation. He had a child on the way and wanted the best way to take care of his family and he felt the military with its pay and insurance was a good field. His permanent duty station was in Honolulu, Hawaii. He was there for the next 3.5 years and a second son arrived. He was released from military in December 2003, stayed Army Reserve. He soon went through a divorce. He was working a job in the downtown KC area when he received his letter to report back to active duty in October 2004. He did not hesitate. He left his job and reported back to duty within 2 weeks. He was shipped to Iraq in December 2004. Evan came home for 17 days in July 2005. He was different. Not my go getter son that was always into everything and talking non stop about everything. He was quiet, reserved, laid back; I guess you could say, tired. I did not say anything concerning Iraq, we just enjoyed him. When it was time for him to return to Iraq, he came into the kitchen and asked me not to go to the air port to see him off, he said, “Mom, I will not get on the airplane if you are there and I need to go back, my men need me”. With a hug and a kiss, I let him go. I should have held on longer. But let me say, there was never a moment I felt/believed Evan would not return from Iraq.

    The week before Evan was killed he called everyday. Actually, he called everyone in the family every day. This was very unusual. We did not put 2 and 2 together. It was Saturday morning 10:00 a.m. and he called. He said, Hey! Mom, I said Evan you’re calling again; He said I just wanted to tell you that I love you. I said Evan I love you too, is there something wrong? He said, we are going out on night patrol and I will be off for the next 3 days and I will call and talk more later but I wanted to tell you that I love you before I went out. Those words will forever stay in my heart, I still hear them every day.

    The next morning, I received a call that SGT. Evan S. Parker had been critically wounded by a road side ambush and an IED attack. A piece of shrapnel had entered his head on the right side and traveled all the way across his brain. They did not expect him to make it. As they spoke to me, they said they had rushed him into surgery in Balad and if he made it through surgery they would be life watching him to Landstuhl Germany Army Hospital. They would expect for us to come to Germany. Eight hours later, they called and Evan made it through surgery and was on his way to Germany, we were preparing to leave for Germany also knowing we would have to remove Evan from life support when we arrived. We arrived 48 hours after his injury and were given 24 hours to be with him and that was pushing it, because he was failing fast. I know in my heart my son waited for me to get there. I kissed his freckled face, roughed his blonde hair and removed him from the ventilator. I promised him: 1. He would never be forgotten 2. He would always be remembered and 3. His name would always be spoken. And he was gone. We all few home together 6 days later on a commercial flight.

    Evan was my son that made me work every day for the word MOTHER, but I enjoyed every minute and now would not trade that for anything.

    He is survived by his parents, brothers, children, grandmother, aunts/uncles, cousins and numerous friends and military brothers. Evan is truly missed.

    Anita F. Dixon, Evans mother
  • Parker with his ride

    Evan with his ride. Iraq 2005. Taken shortly before he was killed.

    Anita F. Dixon, Evans mother
  • Fb img 1494975657374

    Sgt. Evan S. Parker Memorial Pavilion at Ft. Shafter Flats Honolulu Hawaii. Dedicated August 2008. GO FOR BROKE

    Anita Dixon , Mother
  • Evan

    Sgt. Evan Parker Memorial Pavilion on Ft. Shafter Flats 9th Mission Officier Support Squadron Honolulu Hawaii

    Anita Dixon, Mother
  • I first met Evan when we were in Iraq. I spent a lot of time with the fisters. They were my fmaily away from home. Evan was always teasing me and he reminded me of my brother. To me Evan was family. I remember the day Evan was injured. I was watching Conair with Vai. When someone came looking for Vai saying that the guys got hit and they were brining the guys in. We jumped into the vehicle and headed to the CASH. Once there we waited and all i can say is that what I saw was distraught in the eyes of all the guys. After waiting a while we were allowed to go in and see the guys injured. We went to visit Evan and Valle. The nurse just finished getting Evan situated when we walked in. We all talked to Evan and said prayers. This was the last time I saw Evan. It was hard for me to stay and watch the guys and Evan. I said my goodbyes and I walked back to my room. I stayed in my room the whole next day waiting to know that Evan made it on the plane. Vai came back later and let me know Evan was on his way to Germany. A week later we were told that Evan did not make it. When I got back home from the deployment I decided to be a nurse. I remember the nurse and how he cared for Evan and Valle. That nurse had lost his compassion. And this was my driving force of being a nurse. So I started taking my prerequisites for Nursing. In 2011 I was accepted into the nursing program and I pushed hard through my classes and knew that I was doing this for Evan. I was so fortunate to meet Evans mom when I was in Nursing school and shake her hand. It was an honor to meet the woman that raised a hero. I am now a nurse and everyday I take care of my patients I remember Evan I want to alway have compassion even in the most horrible situations for the patient’s, their families and their friends. I hope that I can honor Evan in how I take care of my patients and I know he is looking down on me. Evan I do this for you! You mean the world to me and you had no clue how important you would be to my family and I. Thank you brother! I wish you were here but you are soaring high and watching over all of us!

    Angel, Fellow soldier
  • Thumbnail

    Sgt. Evan S. Parker 2018 Memorial Day Tribute

    Anita Dixon, Mother
  • Pavilion

    Mother Anita Dixon, brother Caleb with Sgt. Evan S. Parkers Commanders at Dedication of Sgt. Evan S. Parker Pavilion Ft. Shafter Flats Hawaii

    Anita F. Dixon, Mother
  • Evan parker 12064

    Picture taken of Evan inside his ride. Iraq 2005

    Anita Dixon, Mother
  • Evan parker 12064 2

    Evan S. Parker high school Senior picture. Taken October 1997, graduation May 1998. Over 60 pictures taken and this is the one that we all chose. Evan draped on top of a American Flag. Little did we know 8 years later he would be coming home with the American Flag draped over him.

    Anita Dixon, Mother
  • Evan29

    Sgt. Evan S. Parker, brother Lance on the (R) and brother Caleb on the (L). Ft. Leonard Wood Mo., Basic Training Graduation US. Army. July 1999.

    Anita F. Dixon, Mother
  • P1010027

    Sgt. Evan S. Parker with his group:

    1st Battalion 487th Field Artillery Fire Support Specialist 29th Combat Team. Attached to the 100-442 Infantry Battalion Honolulu Hawaii

    Anita F. Dixon, Mother
  • P1010040

    Sgt. Evan S. Parker promotion to Sergeant at LSA Anaconda Iraq July 2005

    Anita F. Dixon, Mother